Sunday, February 28, 2010

Living Healthy is a Choice

"Working hard is a daily commitment. Each day you have to get up and commit yourself to the day's healthy eating and working out. There's no easy way, but there's the right way. And this is it."
I read this in an email I got this week from the Biggest Loser Club.  I thought it was pretty good and a reminder that committing to a healthy lifestyle isn't something that we are going to do "for a while" or "until this date".  Living a healthy life is a daily CHOICE and it's forever.  We must re-commit ourselves to the journey of health everyday because our society is focused on getting whatever it is we want right away.  We are tempted each day to live "easy"...fast food restaraunts, weight loss in a pill form, etc. etc.  Almost everything our heart desires can be bought instead of worked for!
I love when I tell someone that I've lost 40 lbs. and I get the question "What are you doing to lose the weight?"  You know I used to be the one asking that question because I was always the one looking to get the weight off as fast as I could, even though I wasn't learning anything along the way about KEEPING the weight off, which is the most important part!  I was also the same girl who would spend months losing the weight to only put it all back on (plus more) in a matter of weeks. 
The theory of weight loss is Simple!  Burn more calories than you eat!  So, how have I lost 40+ pounds?  The good old fashioned way!  I workout, eat healthy (most of the time), drink water, get plenty of sleep, etc.  We all know the work it takes to lose weight, or maintain it....but how about we quit looking at it like WORK and start looking at it as an opportunity.  We have the opportunity every day to better ourselves through exercise by running/walking/swimming farther than we did the day before, trying a new food with powerful health benefits, turning off the TV and going to bed so your body can re-charge!  We all hold the power to create our lives the way we want them to be.  But, it IS a daily process. 
There are days that I make the choice to eat something that I haven't in a while.  The difference now is I gave up beating myself up about it, nothing is forbidden in my diet anymore!  That is such a wonderful way of living and eating!  I learned the hard way that when I forbid myself from eating something it only makes that food that much more tempting and when I did let myself have it I would usually binge and eat MUCH more than I would have if I would have just allowed myself to have a little bit when I felt the need for it.  Ice cream used to be a huge temptation, especially Coldstone Creamery.  Now that I've told myself that I can have Coldstone whenever I want it I can't tell you the last time I ate it!  It took the desire out of the food to tell myself I could have it whenever I wanted it!  Why couldn't I of learned this years ago!
This last week I only got 2 days of exercise in...it has been a VERY long time since I've let that happen.  This week I had activities every night almost and I was out of town Friday and Saturday so my gym time sufffered.  But, I'm not letting it sabotage my progress.  I'm getting back to the gym and looking at it that my body has probably appreciated the break since I've been training so hard for my 5k.  I'm making the CHOICE to continue my healthy lifestyle no matter what stands in my way!  Are you making that same choice?  I hope so:)

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Great Job Amy...you truly are an inspiration. I just have to get myself in the right state of mind to do this too! Thanks for the great post!!