Monday, March 8, 2010

Perserverance is the Key

In September 2009 I began seeing a Doctor at Stormont Vail who helps people make the lifestyle changes to lose weight, get healthy and STAY THAT WAY.  When I started her program I was at rock bottom, and I really felt I had no where left to turn.  I had gained 100 lbs in a little over a year, being 68 lbs higher than I had EVER been before.  I felt my life was falling apart and I was the only one who could stop it.  I can remember walking into her office saying over and over to myself "If she says the word DIET...get the hell outta there".  You see, I've learned that the word DIET=Failure....at least in my life it has.  I've been on a bagillion diets since 4th grade....all of them offer the same empty promises of getting thin.  But, what I came to realize is I'm really good at losing weight, but I'm not so good at keeping it off.  I needed to dig deep within myself to find out why I couldn't maintain my weight loss and why I have been a yo-yo dieter since elementary school.  I learned a lot about myself and my past that contributes to why I use food as a coping mechanism for any emotion I may feel.  Even though it was very hard and at times I felt so alone & helpless, I learned lots about myself FIRST...before tackling weight loss, because gaining weight has very LITTLE to do with food and more about the emotion we feel behind the food. 
I wanted my whole being to be ready for weight loss.  I wasn't looking for a quick fix this time...I wanted lasting results that I could be proud of.  Well, last Friday was my 6 month appointment where they do blood work, measurements, body fat, etc.  I was pretty nervous but left there feeling awesome!

Before Picture
This WAS me, September 2009. Looking back at this picture I see the sadness in my eyes, I remember that feeling like it was yesterday. Seeing how far I'd "let myself go". This day was a turning point though.

After Picture (well... SO FAR, I'm still losing!)
My total weight loss so far is 40.6!  I've lost 5 inches off my waist & 4.7% body fat.  My BMI was 43 and it is now at 36.  The one improvement I am most proud of is reducing my Cholesterol!  In September my total Cholesterol was 234 (yikes!) and after 6 months of healthy lifestyle changes and 3000 mg daily of Omega 3's, my Cholesterol is 159!  I decreased it 75 points by eating right, exercise & omega 3's...no prescription meds at all and in only 6 months! 

I feel so much better, but I'm not stopping here!  I have another 64 lbs. to go but I'm celebrating any success I see!  The best part is that I really am not dieting!  I eat healthy 90% of the time, I LOVE to exercise and am also training for a 5k, I take vitamins and drink water.  I don't deprive myself anymore like I did before.  If I want a cookie I let myself enjoy it!  I just don't eat 5 of them!  So, you can lose weight without dieting...but you can't lose it the right way without being HEALTHY!  And isn't that what we are all after anyways?  Feeling good & looking great!  Stay tuned to hear more about my weight loss journey!!!
To all of you out there losing weight...BELIEVE in yourself!  Never Give Up!

Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did. ~Newt Gingrich

3 comments:

Shandal said...

WTG! You're looking good! Keep it up!

J said...

Amy I can't tell you how proud I am of you!!! You are such an inspiration to me....there are days that I am feeling sorry for myself and I read your blog and tell myself that I can do this too!! Keep up all of this hard work---you are motivating myself and others to work towards a healthy way of living. THANK YOU!!!! Miss you!!!--Tave

Nicole said...

YOU ROCK AMY!!! Great job. Keep up the great work!! May I ask what you take for your omega 3's?