Thursday, May 20, 2010

Women Food & God Review

When I saw that Geneen Roth was releasing the book Women Food & God, I knew I HAD to read it.  I've never read any of her books before, but her column in Good Housekeeping every month is the first page I go to!  She is an inspiration that we can overcome our battle with food, and that dieting is not the answer!  I kept some notes during the Oprah segment that I wanted to share with you.  Did you watch her on Oprah?  Have you read the book?  I'd love to hear your insight!
CLICK on the Amazon link to the right to purchase this amazing book!
  •  Our weight issue is an opportunity to win....it's not a losing battle.
  • Understand why you are overweight and let it be the miracle that changes your life
  • Dieting leads to self-hatred/loathing {this stems from "guilt" of "cheating" or "going off plan".  I replaced the word "cheating" with LIVING!  We will not be perfect every day!}
  • Your relatiohsip with food is the doorway to the life you want.  If we focus on what is behind the feelings that lead us to eat and face them head on instead of reaching in the pantry we will become the person we were intended to be, and quit relying on food to "fix" what is wrong. 
  • The thing you've fought your whole life (in my case it's my relationship with food) is your invitation to live your Best Life!  *By facing my food issues I know I have become a better wife, daughter, sister & friend...and also someone that others can relate to!  That was worth all the weight I gained (wish I could have become this person another way, but this is the way God intended it to be so I've learned to accept that)
  • You are overeating because you've given up on some part of yourself.  *One of the truest statements I've ever heard.
  • Obsession is a way we break our hearts over and over again. We are waiting for someone else to break our hearts so instead we break them by overeating, that way we aren't so vulnerable when someone else hurts us.
  • When you use food to numb a feeling you are still in pain after you overeat about what you were upset about before you ate, but now you are mad at yourself about how you've stuffed yourself with food and the original problem that you ignored by eating is still there!  (This is the BEST thing she said to ME.  I am going to post this on the refrigerator!)
  • Disconnection from the center of yourself is the reason for your problems- take time to learn who you are, what you want and what you deserve!
  • Our real issue is not the food.  Instead we are disconnected from what is real about our lives and who we are.
  • Treat yourself like you'd treat a child, you'd never talk "down" to a child.  Only kindness makes sense when talking about yourself.  Our thoughts become reality!
  • Going to the food to feel better isn't working so why don't you try something else?
  • Torture (diet & restrictive behavior) doesn't lead to a thin happy life, we have something else going on that is not our weight and that problem will be there no matter what we weigh.
  • Eating when you aren't hungry is using food as a drug to make yourself numb...
*WOW, I had no idea how many years I was numb to all that I was feeling & pain I'd ignored.  To be honest, when I started facing my feelings and parts of my past that led me to destructive behavior some people didn't want to hear it.  I was told "quit focusing on the past", "that was a long time ago", "why haven't you gotten over that?", "can't you just forget about it".  Well, NO...obviously I can't cause I'm not bringing it up for fun and I WISH that I didn't still get worked up about it! 
I used food to shove those feelings {hurt, betrayal, deception, disapproval, anger, hatred} down so they couldn't hurt me.  It took me several years to understand what I had done.  When my therapist told me I'd been a Binge Eater since 5th grade I was shocked & stunned.  I was thinking it was something I'd dealt with for a few years, but when we dug deep I found out I was still upset about things from my past such as an emotionally abusive ex, family issues, years of yo-yo dieting, hurtful times/words from elementary/high school,  etc.  Now that I've dealt with those feelings I know that food was my drug to numb the way I was actually feeling during those times of pain.  I didn't let myself experience the emotion I needed to during the time that I was struggling, so it stayed bottled up until I couldn't take it anymore and then I exploded (as you can see in the picture below)
-This picture was me almost at my highest weight (Spring 2009), I think I'd lost a few pounds...I look so sad & in pain... little did I know the journey I was going to embark on to find myself.


-This picture is after running my 2nd 5k.  I NEVER could have dreamed I could be a runner!  Making peace with my past has allowed me to overcome so much more than the number on the scale.








Geneen Roth has 7 Guidelines for Eating Guidelines. 
  1. Eat when you are hungry.
  2. Eat sitting down in a calm environment.
  3. Eat without distractions.
  4. Eat what your body wants.
  5. Eat until you are satisfied.
  6. Eat with intention of being in full view of other people.
  7. Eat with enjoyment, gusto & pleasure.

She is also doing an online retreat that starts on May 25th.  I am seriously considering doing this retreat as a way to keep moving in a positive direction and keep me focused on healing.  If you are interested in the online retreat you can see more information about it here.  Let me know if you are planning to do it as well!

I hope this book might touch a part of you that you didn't know needed to be dealt with.  I had no idea two years ago that my real issues had nothing to do with the fact that Oreos taste good, or ice cream was my favorite food, or that NO ONE could ever see me eat something that I really wanted.  I've learned SO much, I want others to discover what might be holding them back from living their best life...and I'd love for this book to open the door for you to start searching your soul for what makes you happy and what you want most out of your life.  Choose to overcome & you will be rewarded more than you could ever dream!

1 comment:

amlynn27 said...

Thanks for being so open and honest Amy!! I know I've said it before but you're such an inspiration, and so brave!!! I could take some lessons. Will definitely have to check out that book.