Friday, June 18, 2010

Journey to God

In January my husband and I decided to leave the Catholic Church to explore our faith elsewhere.  I didn't agree with everything Catholics are to believe, and so I was kind of "giving up" on my faith.  We had heard about this "other church" for over a year, and many friends kept encouraging us to try it out.  I was the resistant one (me? no way! HA!) We'd both been raised in the Catholic Church our entire lives, we were married there, THAT was our faith and there was no changing that.  Even though we weren't regular church-goers I had accepted the fact that I didn't need to go to Church to talk to God.  In reality, I didn't talk to Him too often though, I was just making excuses.
Then came an early January morning that I woke up and was faced with the question "Why don't you want to go to Church anymore?  Why does it feel like a chore?  When you do go it's not because you want to, so why are you?"  I felt I lost a lot of faith in God last year with the problems in my marriage and my weight.  I was wanting to place blame on HIM, instead of looking at the lessons He was trying to teach me.  So, on January 17th I decided to swallow my pride and just try Fellowship Bible Church one time.  Well, that one time brought us into a brand new journey with Christ and a stronger marriage than we've ever had.  We ok,I finally stopped to listen to what God was trying to show me.  He'd been trying to bring me to the path that could bring Him into my heart... a place I'd never really let Him into.  Once I accepted Him in my heart it's amazing how my life has been blessed.   
Last month we were asked to share our story in a video that they wanted to share with the Church, we were humbled and honored and accepted with a grateful heart.  Below is the video we were a part of along with the other amazing people that were asked to share their stories and journey with Christ. 
I hope wherever you are in your journey of Faith that God is in your heart.  If you are struggling then stop to ask "What lessons can I learn from this?  How can I turn this into an opportunity?" 

"Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.  And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our heats by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." Romans 5: 3-5


FBC Vision Stories Video from Fellowship Bible Church on Vimeo.

2 comments:

amlynn27 said...

I'm so excited for you guys! We have a FBC down here - wonder if it's the same type of church. A lot of people go there. We had a similar experience this past year. We both grew up in Methodist churches and attended one (not regularly) here. It always felt like a chore and something you're "supposed to do" on Sun. We went quite a long time w/o going and I decided I wanted to look elsewhere & also wanted to get Kahlen in a program so she'll grow up knowing God. We found Grace Point Church and it's awesome! I was so excited after the first time I couldn't wait to go back and actually look forward to Sunday's - that never was the case before. It's a wonderful thing when you accept God into your heart - what a difference it makes in all aspects of your life. So happy for you guys!

Colleen said...

It's nice to find people passionate about their faith :)