Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Today is National Running Day!

Did you know that today is National Running Day? 


June 2nd is officially National Running Day!  I'm pretty excited about that because I can actually place myself in the category of being "a runner"...how cool is that?!?  I hope I'm not the only runner that gets totally psyched that they can do that too:)  I am the girl who used to look at runners in awe and say to myself "there is NO WAY you could ever do that!"  Now that I am a runner I'm proud to be one...but, still look at most other runners in awe to be honest!

They actually have a website for National Running Day (NRD) you can visit it here. 

On their site they have listed 7 Reasons to Run...
"Because of changes in diet and lifestyle, Americans are increasingly at risk for diseases that can significantly diminish the quality, productivity, and length of their lives. The time to act is now."
1.  Nationwide, the annual medical expense for juvenile obesity is more than $127 million annually.
2.  Health-care expenses and productivity losses related to obesity problems cost Americans more than $100 billion annually.
3.  Currently, obesity-related illnesses cause some 300,000 deaths a year. Inactivity and poor diet will soon overtake smoking as the leading cause of preventable death in the United States.
4.  Overweight youth ages 10 to 15 have an 80% chance of becoming obese adults by age 25.
5.  Only one in four kids gets at least 30 minutes of physical activity each day. Kids and teens obesity rates have doubled in the past 20 years.
Exercise-and running, in particular-is one solution to combating these health issues.
6.  According to the American Sports Data 2007 Superstudy of Sports Participation, 39.5 million people in the United States ran or jogged at least once, and 11.7 million ran more than 100 days/year.
7.  In 2008, according to Running USA, there were 9.2 million finishers in road races (ranging in distance from the 5K to the Marathon), a 4 percent increase from the 8.8 million finishers in 2007.

Are you a runner?  How did you get started?  I used to incorporate running into my workouts but never more than a mile, or 10 minutes probably!  Once I started the C25K Program on iTunes in December it made running much more simple and I took it one day at a time.  Before I knew it I was running my first 5k, and another one 2 weeks later.  Running has given me a sense of accomplishment.  When the scale doesn't tell me what I want it to, I remind myself of how far I've come physically instead.  Health isn't always related to the number on the scale.  I remember when I weighed what I weigh now "on the way UP", and I am in far better shape today than I was then, but the scale shows the same weight.  Take today and focus on what your body CAN do for you...not what it CAN'T...yet.  
In honor of National Running Day tell me what you plan to do to get some activity in today/tonight!  I have a busy night but I'm making time for "Amy" and my run.  Can't wait to sweat away a little stress!

Anything is possible, but you have to believe and you have to fight.
~Lance Armstrong

4 comments:

Julie V. said...

I like to "run" on the elliptical, but I don't know if that counts! For some reason true running seems a lot more difficult...I also live in the good old South, where the heat and humidity is through the roof. I would love to get a good pair of running shoes and eventually work my way up to a 5k.

tina said...

Great post!! I ran 3 miles today in honor of National Running Day

fittingbackin said...

Fun! We started a book club with a mix of girls - me, my sister, my co-worker Stacy, my friend from college Monica and my husband's friends' wives Crystal and Shana (now my friends of course!) - we meet once a month and have a book club blog too!! Yours is SO cute! Ours needs to be updated... :)

Bringing Pretty Back said...

Oh! What a good post. Running is such a struggle for me! Even a light jog almost takes me out. So I have such respect for people that can RUN!
Have a pretty day!
Kristin