Monday, August 9, 2010

Follow Up: Summer Book Challenge

In June I told you I was going to be participating in a Summer Book Challenge that Booking Mama posted on her site.  The challenge is to read books from Entertainment Weekly's- 18 Must Reads this Summer.  I've read some of the books from the list so I thought I'd share them with you.  I haven't been too impressed yet, but I'm not giving up hope! I'm glad that I decided to step out of my comfort zone and read books that I wouldn't normally pick up to read.  Who knows, one of the others could be my next favorite book!
  1. The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer-  Loved this book, and I knew I would because I loved the Twilight series.  It gave me a different perspective on the "other side" of Twilight, which I loved!
  2. The Passage by Justin Cronin-  I had read on several blogs & articles that this was the book of the summer.  So, I chose it for Little Black Book Club's July pick.  We meet this week to talk about it and I'm anxious to see what the girls thought of it.  I personally didn't think it was as good as I wanted it to be, but it was interesting.  I think I've read too much sci-fi lately so it kind of turned me off from it.  But, if you like sci-fi, action, vampires, etc... it's a must read for you.
  3. Red Hook Road by Ayelet Waldman-  This was my first Nook purchase!  I read it while in California and loved reading on my Nook!  However, this story is so sad!  This book wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either.  It was a pretty average book in my opinion with a really sad plot.  I did like the different characters but I think my main problem with the book is that it was so predictable.
Those are the 3 I've read so far.  Have you read any of them?  If so, which ones?  My goal was "Guppy" in this challenge- which is 4-6 books by Labor Day.  If you have read any other books lately that you've enjoyed (even if they aren't on the list) I'd love to hear about them too!

I'm currently reading April & Oliver by Tess Callahan and I'm really enjoying it so far!

2 comments:

Julie P. said...

I didn't read two of the books that you did, but I did read RED HOOK ROAD. I absolutely loved it. So sorry that it didn't live up to your expectations.

Journey2Goal said...

No big deal! That's why I love looking at your blog... it makes me put books on my "must read" list that I wouldn't find otherwise. Doesn't mean I'll always love them, but that's the beauty of it all:)