Thursday, December 16, 2010

Homeade Dog Treats

'Tis the season for sweets, treats and candy galore!  What about our 4 legged friends though?  They can't induldge in the toffee, sugar cookies & eggnog so the poor pups get left out of all the fun!  (Maybe not, I don't see them having trouble zipping their pants!)
A few weeks ago my friend Kathryn was telling me that she makes her dog homeade dog treats.  I was all kinds of excited to try out her recipe on my dogs!  They were super easy to make & my dogs love me a little bit more today:)  Thanks again Kathryn for giving me your recipe! {I guess I should actually say thanks from Riley & Lucy!}

Peanut Butter Dog Treats
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup Quaker oats (not instant)
1/3 cup peanut butter
1 1/4 cups hot water

Preheat oven to 350.  Mix dry ingredients, mix in peanut butter and hot water.  Knead well (I just put it in the mixer with the dough attachment until it forms into a ball).  Roll dough onto baking sheet into 1/4" thickness.  Cut into grid with pizza cutter (bite size pieces).  Bake for 60 minutes or until hard and dry (if they're still moist, they'll mold).

I forgot to take pictures while I was making them, so here they are in the oven.  Obviously, mine don't look too pretty... I didn't think the dogs would care though!
Riley is waiting for them to get done!
 Mom, stop it with the pictures and give us one of those treats!!!
I love my dogs:)
Photobucket

2 comments:

:Deliciously Healthy said...

Ahh! I love these! Tomorrow we are going to drop off treats to our friends, and I'm going to make these for our friends who are dog lovers like us! Thanks!

Kit said...

I love this! I'm glad your pups are enjoying them.

-Kathryn