Saturday, January 8, 2011

What is the KC Weight Loss Challenge?

I'm in my first week of the KC Weight Loss Challenge hosted by the Kansas City Fitness Magazine.  I've had a few people ask me what the challenge entails so I thought I'd share with you a little more about the 12 week journey I've just begun. 
There are 13 contestants, and all of us were voted in on Facebook by our friends after sharing our story and why we want to be a part of the challenge.  It started on January 4th and ends March 29th.  Our weigh-ins are on Tuesday mornings in KC.  After the weigh in we will be interviewed about the week- the progress we've made, any challenges we are faced with, our motivation, etc.  You'll be able to follow our weight loss journey and see our video blogs on the KC Fitness Magazine website.  Some of the contestants have trainers, I don't, but since my degree is Health Promotion I thankfully know what I'm doing:)  When I move to KC in February I will probably get a trainer since they are more accessible there for the Challenge.
There is no special diet or fitness program that we are on- everyone is on their individual journey.  We are being monitored by an M.D. so we will know how our overall health has improved after the 12 weeks, not just our weight.  At the end of the challenge our journey will be in the KC Fitness Magazine along with our before and after pictures.

What does this Challenge mean to me?
I've been on a journey to lose 105 lbs since September 2009.  As of September 2010 my weight loss was 50 lbs... but I've gained back a little since then:(. 
September 2009 {254.7} to September 2010 {204.6}
 That is why I am doing this Challenge.  I need the accountability, support and encouragement to continue on this journey instead of giving up after a little setback.  I've been a yo-yo dieter since 4th grade, and 2 years ago I swore I'd never diet again after learning I had Binge Eating Disorder... and even though I'm in this challenge I am staying true to that.  I'll never forget the first time I heard "diets cause disorders", I finally understood my struggle!  It IS possible to lose weight and not deprive yourself.  It's called a LIFESTYLE CHANGE.  I am not going to do anything during this challenge that I can't continue to do after March 29th.  SO, you won't hear me going on an all liquid diet, cutting out all carbs, exercising 6 hours a day, etc.  It's not realistic for me to live that lifestyle & I know that if I let myself fall into the "diet trap" I'll end up suffering again with my eating disorder.  It's not worth it and I've come to far to end up back there again.

First weigh in for KC Weight Loss Challenge {217}
My goals
Goal setting is so important!  My goals might be different than the other contestants, in fact I'm sure we are all driven by different goals... that's what makes this so much fun!
I want to stay focused on HEALTH.  It's very easy to get wrapped up in the number on the scale, and I do not want to get obsessive about it.  I am using Jillian Michaels Master Your Metabolism as a guide for my eating... BUT, in NO WAY am I considering it a diet.  I have learned to listen to my body, and if I'm hungry (which means PHYSICAL hunger, so my tummy is growling) then I'm going to eat.  Diets don't allow you to do that, and I lived like that way too long... and after every "diet" the weight piled back on.  If I deprive myself too long I'll just end up bingeing and I'll find myself in the binge cycle all over again. {no thank you!}
I want to focus on FITNESS.  I love to workout, thank goodness!  I hate to miss my workouts and feel so much better after a good sweatfest!  I am going to kick my workouts up a notch and do a minimum of 300 minutes of cardio per week.  I need to add more strength training to my fitness routine, for some reason I really struggle getting that in and it's just as important (if not more) as cardio.
I want to INSPIRE.  There is no point in having this blog if I can't help one person off the couch.  That is why I blog.  That is why I wanted to be a part of this Challenge.  I could have kept my entire journey to myself, held it all in & never shared with anyone why I gained 100 lbs and the struggles I've had... but how does that help anyone?  After all I've been through I'd at least like to help prevent someone else from going through it!  It has felt SO GOOD to share my story and encourage others to take charge of their health.

SO, what are you waiting for?  Why don't you join me during this Challenge?  Don't let another year pass you by that you wished you would have started to run, gotten off the baby weight, the Freshman 15, fill in the blank.  Whatever it is you want, you can have.  Just take it one day at a time and before you know it you'll be in your skinny jeans. 
I'll be posting about my journey and I'd love to see where the next 12 weeks could take you! 

I also want to say thank you for all of the encouraging messages, emails & texts I've gotten about my weight loss journey.  Your kindess motivates me, it keeps me working towards my goals and I cannot thank you enough for being a part of this journey with me. 

Photobucket

1 comment:

Jess said...

I'm cheering you on the whole way!