Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I've Seen Better Days

I heard a song on The Biggest Loser tonight that really spoke to me.  Music is therapy for me, when I find a song I can relate to it can help me through a lot. 
"Give me an answer, Give me a way out, Give me the faith, To believe in these hard times"
These were the lyrics that caught my attention tonight, they are words I needed to be praying to God instead of sitting here feeling sorry for myself.

It's been a rough few weeks.  We are adjusting to a new city, I'm adjusting to unemployment, we've made lots of changes to our house including new flooring & new paint so we've had lots of people in and out working.  The previous owners also left this house in a state that we haven't really appreciated.  It was pretty dirty, lots of trash in the garage that I had to pay to have hauled off, and the most irritating problem was the opened can of oil that was in a grocery sack that my husband picked up to take to the trash that ended up all over his work clothes.  We didn't know it was oil, didn't know it was an open container either and by the time we realized it it was too late... so we donated pants and shoes to the trash bin that day too.
In the midst of all this change (and irritations) we've had a slight disaster occur.  This past weekend our ceiling began leaking water.  We couldn't figure out where it was coming from & we called our home warranty company out at 10pm on Friday night to try to locate the problem.  He didn't find anything, told us it could be our siding but he didn't know.  The leaking stopped until Saturday afternoon and that's when we realized exactly how big of a disaster we had on our hands.
I was putting things away in our spare bedroom and noticed the floor was wet.  I first thought one of my dogs had an accident on the carpet and was getting ready to chew some "tail"... that was until I walked another step to realize that I was standing in water... on my new carpet.  I freaked out.  That morning I noticed our NEW hardwood floors looked like they were warping, but I was just keeping an eye on it & was too busy to really look at them.  After finding the water in the spare bedroom I knew the problem was not our siding... it was something IN our house.  A lightbulb went off... The carpet, hardwood floors and basement ceiling are all in the same vicinity of our home... and at the center of it all sat our refrigerator. 
I have hated this refrigerator since we looked at this house.  It's a piece of work let me tell you.  I told my husband when we bought this house that a new fridge was at the top of the list cause this one is ancient.  Well... I should have gotten that new fridge sooner cause the pipe had a leak and that's what has ruined my new carpet, new hardwood floors and it's also why I have 2 very large holes in my ceiling due to the water damage it's caused.  Thankfully they told us we'd done everything right, we caught it early and everything can be fixed.  Guess that's good news.

While I'm thankful that this small disaster is all reversible it just adds to the stress of everything else that has gone on with moving.  I feel overwhelmed and stressed.  So hearing the words "Give me the faith to believe in these hard times" was just what I needed to hear.  (Cause right now all I'm hearing are 6 commercial grade fans and 2 commercial grade dehumidifiers that will be here for 6 days).
Life is not always what we plan.  And it's not always easy to roll with the punches either.  This disaster has taken time away from working out & meal planning... two crucial parts to my weight loss.  BUT, I am taking everything ONE day at a time.  It's all going to be ok.  I know that.  I also know that compared to what many people have going on my small disaster is nothing.  So, tomorrow is a fresh start.  I'm starting the day at the gym and that always makes me feel better.  I'm not giving up on my weight loss just because I've had "life" get in the way.  The scale might not be moving much but it's not going UP, and I am going to celebrate that with all that we've had thrown at us.  Like I've said before I'm doing this as my lifestyle, this isn't a diet.  Life doesn't stop when we decide to take charge of our health, get the extra weight off, etc.... we grow when we stay committed and push through the hardships.  Having a never give in, never give up attitude is what will push me towards my goal weight... and that's a dream I will never let go of.

Photobucket

1 comment:

erin8160 said...

I'm so sorry about what you guys have had to go through with your new house! Like you told me though, it can't get worse, it's only going to get better! I hope you are able to enjoy it soon! Love ya girl!