Sunday, January 19, 2014

Book Review: The Aviator's Wife by Melanie Benjamin

Oh my goodness where do I start!?!  I LOVED this book.  The Aviator's Wife is the story of Charles and Anne Lindbergh told from Anne's perspective and is considered historical fiction.  I knew little (okay, I knew nothing) about the Lindbergh's prior to reading this and I am so intrigued by their story now.  I want to read more about them and learn more about their lives and their marriage.  I don't want to spoil it for anyone so I'll just include the synopsis of this book and tell you to go buy it.  Like, right now.  Seriously.  Especially if you enjoy reading historical fiction.  For the record, I don't usually go for historical fiction but this book was recommended to me and I'm so glad I read it even though it's not a novel I'd normally choose on my own.

What's it about?  When Anne Morrow, a shy college senior with hidden literary aspirations, travels to Mexico City to spend Christmas with her family, she meets Colonel Charles Lindbergh, fresh off his celebrated 1927 solo flight across the Atlantic. Enthralled by Charles’s assurance and fame, Anne is certain the aviator has scarcely noticed her. But she is wrong. Charles sees in Anne a kindred spirit, a fellow adventurer, and her world will be changed forever. The two marry in a headline-making wedding. In the years that follow, Anne becomes the first licensed female glider pilot in the United States. But despite this and other major achievements, she is viewed merely as the aviator’s wife. The fairy-tale life she once longed for will bring heartbreak and hardships, ultimately pushing her to reconcile her need for love and her desire for independence, and to embrace, at last, life’s infinite possibilities for change and happiness.

I'd love to know if you read this book.  I can't say enough good things about it and hope you enjoy it!



Photobucket

No comments: