Saturday, January 18, 2014

Book Review: The Light Between Oceans by ML Stedman

My "must read" list has more books on it than I think I'll ever have time to read.  When it was my turn to pick for our book club in November I decided to pick a book that's been on my "must read" list for a few years so I could finally mark one off the list.  I chose The Light Between Oceans by ML Stedman and I am SO glad I finally read it! This novel was SO good.  I couldn't put it down and it left me bawling at the end!  I love when a book grabs my heart and leaves me thinking about the characters for days.  It gave us a lot to talk about as well, and everyone enjoyed it.


What is this book about? After four harrowing years on the Western Front, Tom Sherbourne returns to Australia and takes a job as the lighthouse keeper on Janus Rock, nearly half a day’s journey from the coast. To this isolated island, where the supply boat comes once a season, Tom brings a young, bold, and loving wife, Isabel. Years later, after two miscarriages and one stillbirth, the grieving Isabel hears a baby’s cries on the wind. A boat has washed up onshore carrying a dead man and a living baby.
Tom, who keeps meticulous records and whose moral principles have withstood a horrific war, wants to report the man and infant immediately. But Isabel insists the baby is a “gift from God,” and against Tom’s judgment, they claim her as their own and name her Lucy. When she is two, Tom and Isabel return to the mainland and are reminded that there are other people in the world. Their choice has devastated one of them.

If you are looking for a good book, I'd recommend The Light Between Oceans by ML Stedman.  If you decide to read it I'd love to know what you thought!
I plan to share my book reviews this year.  I love to read and usually get 1-2 read a month so I thought this would be a good way to recommend books and hear what you are reading too!  I love getting book recommendations from friends so please share your favorites. 
PS- I'm reading an AMAZING book right now I can't wait to finish and share with you!



Happy Reading,
Photobucket

No comments: