Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Media Free Monday

Sometimes we need a little push.  A tug.  A little motivation to put something into action that's been weighing on our hearts.  I had my push today to start cutting back on the time I spend on my phone checking Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, {enter website where time is wasted here}. 
I admit that I'm on social media too much.  I try to cut back and I always end up checking one more post, reading one more article or looking at one more picture.  Before I know it I've wasted another 20 minutes, 30 minutes... an hour.  Honestly, it's ridiculous.  It's something I'm ashamed of if I'm being honest.  So, today I had my awakening.  It's time to make the change and quit talking about it.  It's time to really focus on being INTENTIONAL in this area of my life.
Starting next Monday I'm encouraging anyone who struggles in this area to join me for "Media Free Monday".  What this looks like for me is staying off social media ALL DAY Monday (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, etc).  I'm still going to check my email, that isn't a problem for me as I only spend a few moments deleting a lot of spam for the most part.  I'm hoping this will help me focus on things I really want to get done in 2014.  Or, just spend those extra moments enjoying my son and/or my husband.  Maybe it'll force me to pick up the phone and call a friend instead of just looking at her Facebook page to tell me what's going on in her life.  Maybe I'll feel productive after my son wakes up from nap instead of wishing I could get those 2 hours back that I just wasted.  Maybe I'll finish a book.  Maybe I'll do some laundry.  My mind is racing with all the ways I can be more productive.
This may not be an issue for some, but I think it's an issue for a lot of us... one that we like to pretend we don't have an problem with.  {Yes, I'm also talking to those of you who may never post but you are on it just as much as those of us who do!}  I love being on social media because it's a great way to keep up with friends and family, but I think checking it 1-2 times a day should be sufficient instead of "checking in" whenever I have a minute here or there.

I'd love to know if you plan to join me for Media Free Monday.  You might just get a few more things checked off your to-do list, too!
Share this post with #mediafreemonday to encourage others to live more intentionally with us.  Good luck!

Photobucket

No comments: